Steve Hong of Kingdom Rice, with co-host DJ Chuang, really get into the hefty topic of shame and honor cultures, the value of our origin stories, how God reverses our shame and elevates us to a place of honor, and much more.
We can’t cover everything in 30 minutes, but we sure covered more about shame and honor than the average episode, with plenty of bibliographical citations sprinkled throughout. Level up for this meaty conversation about honor and shame.
Kingdom Rice https://kingdomrice.org
Chinatown Through the Eyes of God: An Evening of Storytelling, Healing, and Solidarity https://kingdomrice.org/2021/05/19/chinatown-through-the-eyes-of-god-an-evening-of-storytelling-healing-and-solidarity/
“Honor, Shame, and the Gospel: Reframing Our Message and Ministry“—edited by Christopher Flanders and Werner Mischke, includes a chapter by Steve Hong [order on amazon.com]
More show notes from Steve Hong & Kingdom Rice:
- “Steve’s virtual background is SF’s Chinatown, specifically the Chinese hospital where he was born. Chinatown started at SF’s original port because they could not live anywhere else. This newsletter highlights the bus line made famous from Shang-Chi’s opening fight scene that connects Chinatown with “New Chinatown,” the first ‘hood AAPI that transcended decades of red-lining. How does the story of Chinatown and the Shang-Chi bus line tie into the Story of God? – https://us7.campaign-archive.com/?u=fa087337cc3c4249cebd6c318&id=01e438005b
- Regarding AAPI mental health, here is a snapshot of Kingdom Rice’s work: https://mailchi.mp/4cf0d78e3e5a/innovative-trauma-care-to-the-frontlines-via-bipoc-leaders?e=f6b54cfee7
- This book helped frame their mission statement, especially the idea that “We don’t need new revelation as much as we need new relationships” amazon.com/Acts-Theological-Commentary-Bible-Belief/dp/0664234003
- We’ve ALL been discipled. It would really serve us to name how our instincts have been discipled so that we can replace these old teachers with Jesus. dwillard.org/books/divine-conspiracy
- Regarding the HUGE role that cities and AAPI play in God’s Kingdom, no one heard of K-pop when this book was written. But Dr. Bakke named “urbanization” and “Asianization” as the “twin engines driving the planet away from the Atlantic-centered world and toward the Pacific-Rim century. amazon.com/Theology-City-Prof-Raymond-Bakke/dp/0830818901